Thursday, November 8, 2012

3rd reflection

       As I've been discussing/complaining that I've been experiencing problems with finding a solid idea/topic to develop a final product from it. Ms. Roy has helped me collect my thoughts together. I wanted to address students with learning disabilities. This topic hits home because I myself have a learning disability. Have a bad case of ADHD if you couldn't tell, I take medicine twice a day .... that's when I feel like it or don't forget. Anyways, the whole point of this project is to open the publics' eye and expose them to the positive side. People think because students have learning disabilities that they are "dumber" and are at a disadvantage, but did you know us students with learning disabilities also have advantages that the "normal student" does not. 
        So what exactly is the project? I haven't quite decided if I want to focus on one or a few common learning disabilities, pretty sure I want to focus on the few that most kids have. I would list the disadvantages and struggles these students go through, but I will also list all of the extra abilities/skills/senses they have acquired because of their "problems". I am also thinking of conducting an interview. I would go around our school and ask students their impressions and judgments of those with learning disabilities, not to collect data but to just show how biased and negative people are towards those facing these educational setbacks.
        Students with learning disabilities usually have 504 plans for themselves.  "A 504 plan spells out the modifications and accommodations that will be needed for these students to have an opportunity perform at the same level as their peers, and might include such things as wheelchair ramps, blood sugar monitoring, an extra set of textbooks, a peanut-free lunch environment, home instruction, or a tape recorder or keyboard for taking notes." My final product will consist of information about kids with disabilities including the things that hold them back, but also what makes them different and gives them an advantage over other students (e.g creativity, focusing on other things, seeing things from a different view). It will also consist of a plan/procedure of how one with a learning disability can obtain a 504 plan, and along the process I might just finally get a 504 plan & the modifications/accommodations to be just as successful as my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you for helping to improve our projects!