Sunday, November 11, 2012

Reflection Week 3: Popular Literature


REFLECTION WEEK 3!

Continue from where I last left off (http://twentypercent12.blogspot.com/2012/10/reflection-week-2-popular-literature.html) I have continued to browse through list of books for my finale list. I've continued looking through the list mentioned in my last post and am starting a list on books I wish to include.

While I've decided to add in some none series books, I will be focusing on two series that have become major blockbusters. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling, and The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, will provide the bulk of my research. In nearly all the sources I've looked through (cited in my previous post, linked at the beginning of this one) the Harry Potter Series was ranked number one on best young adult literature lists, followed by the more recent Hunger Games.

An anomaly I found in my research so far is the Twilight Saga by Suzanne Meyer. Although a popular series and blockbuster, it is often rated low on the lists for best books. It is often criticized for the ideas it promotes and the writing itself. This leads to another question I might look into as part of my projects. How does a series, being ranked at number 27 for a must read, become as big as it is? Is it an anomaly or is there a way to promote any book into a best seller?

Until Next Time! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you for helping to improve our projects!