Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Reflection Week 8: Popular Literature

Reflection Week 8: Popular Literature

 

REFLECTION WEEK 8!

This week I spent time comparing the list of best selling characteristics I developed to other novels to test it. I used both novels from series and ones that stood alone, as well as unpublished novels that are predicted to become best sellers.
 
When comparing the stand alone novels and the series novels to the list I found slight differences. Certain characteristics are constant in both, but there are differences. Novels in a series need certain characteristics to allow the story to continue over a collection of books, while stand alone novels need to complete the story in a single book.
 
I spent some time comparing unpublished novels (using summaries or previews) to the list to see what data I could collect. While I can't know for sure until the books are published and there is data on it, I found some interesting things that I will discuss in my project.
 
My plan for next week is to look at books that did have these characteristics and failed, or didn't have these characteristics and made it on the best sellers list. My plan with this is to look for anomalies or to see if there is a common theme among books that don't include the characteristics found on my developed list.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you for helping to improve our projects!