Thursday, January 24, 2013

results of Dr. Visit (10)

      As you all know I had a doctor appoitment with the psychiatrist last friday. We were suppose to talk about the 5o4 plan, but things in the office were a little hectic. He told me he was sorry but not to worry because he would email me any last information that  I needed for my project. Glad he kept his word and remembered, I recieved an email later on [ but I won't go into detail, you guys can see it all during my presentation :) ]. The downfall about visits to the doctor is that there's honestly so much to get done and talk about and unfortunately there's never enough time hence why we had to get right to important stuff.
   I dont mind sharing about some of the things that went on during my appointment because it is related to the project and it gives you guys an "in" to the other side of things. So basically what happened is, I had recently switched medications 4 weeks ago. I'll explian the medications, how they work, and the difference so you guys can have understanding of them and follow what I'm saying. The two most common and widely used medications to treat ADHD and ADD are Ritalin (methylphenidate) and Adderall (amphetamine and dextroamphetamine).  Ritalin, which is what I was previously taking is used to help me calm down and concentrate on my work. From my understanding about the medications and what I've been told... to put it in easy terms, Ritlain works with the CNS by giving you more brain receptors to recieve the chemicals and messages in your brain to calm down and relax. The thing about this medication is that it actually alters your brain and its' structure which is why Adderall is sometimes more preferred. Personally, I didn't like the way I felt taking it, sure it helps suppress my problems but I wasn't the biggets fan. The reason why I was switched to Adderall was because of that very reaosn and because unlike Ritlain, this medication helps by adding more chemicals to the brian to help concentrate whereas Ritlain was altering the brain itself. Because Adderall is adding more chemicals to the brain people can become very depednet on it, some even get addicted to it, it's actually really scary.
     I use the simple analogy of Adderall is just giving the braine medicine to help concentrate and get  work done, wherer Ritlain is a medicine that changes the brain to hopefully have it concentrate more. My mom didn't like the idea of changing the format of my brain either so thats why she also prefers Adderall, it's just adding a synthetic version of the chemical my brain is suppose to produce or produce enough to get thge job done. So quick background and understanding of the medications.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melon K: I don't know you but I am a teacher over at AIT. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to make it over to see your and your classmates presentations. You are courageous to share about your learning issues. I learned a lot just from this post about the differences between Ritalin and Adderall and your project will help others to step out and see that in reality we are all different from each other and we all have good things to offer. Good luck with your presentation and your future.
    ~Mrs. Kandigian

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you for helping to improve our projects!